Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pray Without Ceasing!!

As many of you know, every year I take a team from our Creative Arts department to the International Worship Institute in Dallas. Only 11 more days until this year's event! This will be my fifth year to attend. We have grown from taking two, to this year a group of ten of us are attending. I'm really excited that my wife is going this year...without the kids. I love 'em, but they'll be just fine with Grandmama & Papa. Besides, we're going to Colorado together the following week! There...my conscience feels much better. Anyway, it truly is one of the best weeks of my year. It rejuvenates my soul & gets me refreshed & energized for the next year in ministry.

Contrary to what people may think, working in the church carries a lot of baggage. Don't get me wrong, at this point in my life, I can't imagine doing anything else..."For such a time as this". It's just that this calling is a lot more stressful than one might think. The bottom line is simply this, PEOPLE ARE MESSY! As it says in Romans..."We've all sinned & fallen short of the glory of God". Church is just the one place that all those messy folks come together. You gotta love it!!

Forgive me, as I feel like I'm rambling or going to ramble a bit. Let me get to my point. This morning I received an e-mail, as I often do, from the good people at IWI. It started much like they all do with a greeting not unlike that of Paul in his letters to Timothy. However, as I read on, the tone became quite different. As I'm reading, I'm thinking to myself, Lord please let this not be happening. But, as I read on, sure enough, Lamar Boschman, the founder of IWI (21 years ago) is stepping down. Why?...moral transgressions. Only God knows what that means, & frankly I'd like to keep it that way. Here we have yet another Godly leader knocked down. What is going on? The reality is, as stated earlier, we are all sinners & could at any moment be knocked down by any number of temptations.

So, what happens now? The way I see it, the only thing that I know can be done is...PRAY. We must do as the word says & "Pray without ceasing". Pray for Lamar...Pray for his family...Pray for the faculty of IWI...Pray for those attending IWI...PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!! The last thing we need to do is judge as if this couldn't happen to any one of us. Will we still be going to IWI? Of course!! I believe with all my heart that God has ordained this group of ten people to connect with Him as never before. In fact, I will be going now with an even more expectant heart than before. Through our weakness, He shows himself STRONG!

One more thing. This just solidifies in my heart the need for more ministries seeking to bring freedom to the addicted. Starting sometime in the Fall or the beginning of the new year, we will be starting a new ministry called "The Well".


Honesty is crucial! We are all either addicted to something, know someone that is, or prone to have one. Right now, I'm sure some of you are even offended by that statement. I stand by it though. We MUST get honest with ourselves. More to come down the pike with this ministry. If your heart stirs, let me know. We need leaders that have been there & done that.

Until then...

"PRAY WITHOUT CEASING!"

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Marshall said...

I wouldn't call what I am feeling judgment opon LaMar. Beleive me, when I say I would never judge. That is not my job. I am far from perfect myself and living proof that that my sins in life did indeed lead me to the Holy Spirit.

It scares me about "My" judgement. If a such a great teacher of the Lord and Worship can fall down, it makes me insecure about my own moral transgressions.

All through out the Bible it talks about the way Satan reaches people especialy ones with Power and wealth, for example Peter and King David, King Solomon....ect...Its been happening from the begining of time, I suppose.

I too think this years IWI will be more powerful than we know. For me it will be such an honor and blessing.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Me said...

It's good to hear that you're seeking the Word in times likes these. I wasn't referring to you alone with the comment on judging. We all do it. We just need to stop & get on our knees when we feel that urge coming on.

I too can't wait to see what God has in store at the IWI. I honestly hope that He might be there at some point for all of us to pray for him. However, I know he's seeking higher council than me. Thanks the Lord!!

3:38 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

I didn't feel the need to comment sooner because I responded to the group email about the situation.

All day I felt hurt and sad for LaMar and did a lot of praying for him.

But then tonight I got mad! I started feeling like we'd gotten ripped off, and that it was going to feel like going to a funeral, and that LaMar had stolen our joy!

After a couple of hours of that, I came back full circle and started praying with compassion for him again.

I guess it's ok to have mixed emotions as long as I come back pretty quickly to the reminder that LaMar isn't what makes the IWI so awesome, and the Holy Spirit is going to do HIS work just fine without LaMar.

I'm not denying my feelings, though, and I expect we'll ALL have them in the next few days. I would think it would be hardest for Mark, since he has a longer history with IWI than the rest of us.

I must say, the board was amazing. I'm sure there had to be a huge temptation to sit on the information and let things go as planned until after the institute, since it is so soon. I respect them greatly for dealing with it now. And I respect LaMar for even HAVING a board--some ministries don't.

God isn't through with LaMar any more than he was through with David after his failure...or through with ME when I fail.

We're gonna have a BLAST!!!

And anyway, what has THAT got to do with the awesome week we're gonna have! I CAN'T WAIT!!

11:16 PM  
Blogger laurajo said...

Well, I have been out of town and came home last night to find out about all of this. As Kathy said, there have been several different emotions going on. Mostly, confusion and disbelief. But the thing that I feel mostly, is a great reminder of why we do not worship people, but God. He uses us as leaders to teach others about Him and His ways, but how dare we ever put another human being on the same level as God. I know that it is easy to do. I realized after Robert left, that I had done just that. I had to refocus and remember that Robert did not make FBC what it was, God did. We are all just flesh and we will fall, disappoint, and, well, SIN. I am still very excited to go to IWI. As Mark said, the Holy Spirit will do his job fine with or with out LaMar. And all we can do is pray for him. I have faith that he will heal and return with a learning experience that will benefit others.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home