Thursday, July 13, 2006

Put that flipper down!

Forget what I said in my last post about rest...Just Kidding! There's a lot to be said for it, I just haven't been getting much of it lately. As they say, "This too shall pass". After today, I'll probably be signing off until Monday. We're going to hit this moving thing pretty hard starting tomorrow.

Last night, as I was about to crash on my pillow until I flipped on the tube. The second I did it, I knew it was a bad idea. Oh well, at least I learned something. No, not from the mistake of turning it on...from the actual show I watched. Anyway, I immediately got hooked on a documentary on PBS. Yes, I watch PBS! It chronicled the life of folk singer Woody Guthrie. At first, I got hooked into the musical aspect of it. Then, I really started focusing in on his character. Mr. Guthrie was by no means an incredible righteous man of God. Far from it! However, their was one aspect to Him that many of us followers of Christ could stand to have more of...CONVICTION.

At one point in his life he began to receive a little fame. His "everyday man" songs were sung from coast to coast. With this fame, a steady flow of good income began to come in. Keep in mind that this was right smack in the middle of the depression. I'm about to get to the conviction part. As his fame began to grow more & more, the record labels began to instruct him more on what he could & could not write. In my days in Nashville, I saw more of this than I care to admit. It always amazed me how a big record label could sign a great songwriter and within 6 months suck the song right out of them. Where's the unique music anymore?! Wow, I'm chasing another rabbit right down the bunny hole. So, where were we? Oh yeah, conviction. Even with all the big money rolling in, Woody wouldn't let them try to make him into their poster boy. If you've heard any of Woody Guthrie's music, you know that every song has a message. Not always a good one, but a message nonetheless. He left everything and went back to Texas where he started. He could've had it all, but instead, he chose to stand true to who he was.

How many times, as Saved, Sold out, Born again believers to we literally sell out to what this world has to offer? Do we stand true to the convictions that the Holy Spirit has embedded deep within us? Is the Word of God worth living by, or is it just another instruction manual to be thrown in the bottom of the nearest drawer?

Conviction. That's a tough word to say, much less to live.

Talk at ya soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger KathyH said...

Yeah, yeah, you probably just like Woody because he went back to TEXAS! Don't get any ideas from that, T-Mark!!!

I well remember "This Land is Your Land" from my (brief) folksinging days. Hey, I wonder whatever happened to his hippie son, Arlo? I bet I'm the only one reading this who will remember "Alice's Restaurant!" Thanks for the blast from the past!

You don't talk about Nashville much--was it that bad?

3:36 PM  
Blogger laurajo said...

Now we're talking 'bout something I can relate to. I do know Woody Guthrie, and I have my Grandma to thank for that. I also heard Emmy Lou Harris in the clip. I have admired her voice since I was little. She does some beautiful harmonies. Anyway, Kathy, I do know a little about Arlo. I cant remember "Alices Restaurant", but I do remember "City of New Orleans". Although I have to admit, I remember it better done by Willie Nelson.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Don't know about Woody Guthrie, know about Emmy Lou Harris...remember the City of New Orleans, but that's about it. Conviction? Yeah, there's lots of that in my life. Ever heard the phrase He is either Lord of all or He's not Lord at all... in your life? Choices, I am telling you, It's all about choices.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Annette said...

Hi, Mark - I am actually getting some blog practice - yes, I need practice learning how to blog - ok, hope your good - I am enjoying reading some of your blogs and may comment more later - love ya - Annette

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home