Monday, August 21, 2006

Rise Up!

What do you think the world's first criticism of Christians is? You got it, HYPOCRISY! We don't live what we preach. In fact, we often live what we preach against!
The lyrics found above come from a song that I just ran across a few weeks ago. Of course, being a musician, the music drew me in first. However, as soon as it got to this chorus, it became a wonderful marriage of the two. Listen to the words; "rise from the ashes"..."fall to her knees"..."light in the darkness". These are all attributes that we, as the bride (church) of Christ, must adhere to. We must RISE UP and be what Christ created us to be...a catalyst to be a "light" for Him to our community & even the nations.
All that said, my favorite line in this song is "let the church fall to her knees"! We must be humble enough to admit that as a church we've screwed up, & even ask for forgiveness when we know we need to. It's through this forgiving humble attitude that we will truly RISE UP!
This past week I have been incredibly encouraged to see, and even be a part of the church simply being the church. I meet weekly with a few guys to talk about God's Word & our place in it. These guys are a rock to each other. You know "iron sharpens iron". Anyway, one of the guys had a truck break down & the next thing I know it's getting fixed by two of the others in that group.
Later in the week someone came to the church just to have someone to cry with. Sometimes that's all the church needs to be, an ear to listen & a shoulder to cry on. Let's be honest, we talk way too much as it is.
So, what do ya say! Are we going to rise up? At the very least, let's just get off our comfortable rumps & do something!
Yes, I understand that some rumps are more comfortable than others.

7 Comments:

Blogger KathyH said...

I suspect that those of us with ample rumps are much more comfortable than unpadded people when sitting on the floor. However, RISING UP after we've gotten DOWN IS a problem!

(I could have taken your entry a little more seriously if you hadn't cracked me up by providing the definition of RUMP!)

6:22 PM  
Blogger laurajo said...

I have to say that my rump is very cumfy.
On a serious note, I have never been a part of anything like FBC. It is amazing to see people helping each other out like I have seen you guys do. Most families I know arent even as close knit. If you dont have a support system of your own, FBC is the place to go to get one.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I agree with Kathy that rising up after gettin' down seems to be a problem...you know, "...slightly older in some places..."? I also think the fact that Julie's rump is a "touchy subject" is HILARIOUS!

However, hypocrisy was the main reason I left the church in the first place and why New Age seemed so great. I think finding congruency in my life is something I will always struggle with and to that end, we are all hypocrites in some way shape or form, just because we don't always practice what we preach. That all being said, I think that if we have an attitude of teachability and are willing to learn from the past instead of "hakuna matata", then our grace meter goes up and the hypocrisy meter goes down.

I also REALLY love to be part of a group of godly people who will hold me up to the standard that God has set before me. AND I love the fact that my illustrious spouse is being sharpened and sharpening iron as well!

Frankly, FBC is the best church we have found thus far for the support type of environment. I am closer to my church family than my own family. Sad? Nope. My family are mostly non-believers. Hard to see the world the same way. You wanna bet they are watching me (and every other Christian friend I have)??? You bet! Hypocrisy lives with a microscope, grace lives with a wide-angle lens!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

Good insights, Summer. When are you going to start a blog? I'm serious...

4:33 PM  
Blogger laurajo said...

Summer, I would like you to start a blog also. Not that I always have time to read them, but it would still be nice.

7:52 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

HOORAY, Summer!! Let me know THE MINUTE you post your first entry, ok?

10:57 PM  
Blogger Aunt in the Attic said...

We are preparing this tune for the week our church is being reclaimed after a lengthy renovation process. The group is true to the words and the song is truly appropriate to the church and its peoples.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home