Sunday, August 13, 2006

What to do?

For those of you who really know me well. You know that I am a big time movie buff. I love going to movie's, renting them, acting in them. No, wait a minute, I've never done that. The fact is, I love escaping reality for a few hours to get sucked into a great flick. So, needless to say, the movie would have to be pretty bad to merit me walking out of the theatre.

Last night, my wife & I went out on the town for a much needed date. A little Mexican food & you guessed it...a movie. It had been a while since we had seen a good comedy, so we went with some friends to see Will Ferrell's new movie
"Talladega Nights - The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". I love Will Ferrell from his early days with SNL. His slapstick style of humor has kept me in stitches many times. However, this was not one of those times. Well, to be completely honest, there were times in the movie that were really funny, but it wasn't 30 minutes into the film that I couldn't take it any more. The humor had been overtaken with incredibly lude situations & language. The line was officially crossed & it was time to walk out.

Later that evening my wife and I were reminded of a verse in Ephesians:


"Though some tongues just love the taste of gossip, those who follow Jesus have better uses for language than that. Don't talk dirty or silly. That kind of talk doesn't fit our style. Thanksgiving is our dialect." -Ephesians 5:4 (The Message)

Once again, I love how The Message puts it, very straight forward & to the point. If there's anything I can teach you through this, it would be simply this; Listen to the Lord when He's speaking to you! He created us to think on things that are holy, just & pure. I like a good laugh as much as the next guy. Let's just make sure that we're careful what we are laughing at.

3 Comments:

Blogger KathyH said...

I've been proud of you many times, but never more than last night when you took your stand with the management. Sorry they wouldn't give you your money back.

Of course I had mixed emotions about you leaving early, because it did shorten my babysitting time. I got gypped--I demand a do-over!

And your date wasn't what you expected either, since Joe and I walked into El Parian with your girls. I really pushed for McDonald's, but I got outvoted 3 to 1...

6:03 PM  
Blogger santana davis said...

My Mom always said that if you criticize something and it's changed for the better, that you need to atke time to praise the person for trying. She said the 2nd service was better today. 2 out of 3 songs were traditional. As for the movie, if more Christians walked out of movies with lewd behaviour or crude language, Hollywood would make better films. You are to be commended for living your faith.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think it's great you have a "line to be crossed". So many people, even Christians, don't have a line, they just cover their ears and close their eyes in some weird attempt to make it all disappear. Good for you standing up for what you believe. I lost my zeal for hollywood's lights long ago. Escape from reality? Most people say I don't live in "reality" anyways due to my beliefs. Consider the source!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home