Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Healthy debate gone too far?

A good friend told me that I shouldn't touch this subject with a ten foot pole. However, this has been a bit of a soap box issue of mine for some time now & I feel like it's time to open the floodgates of conversation.

What do you think of when I say the word...Tongues? A valid spiritual gift? A dead spiritual gift? Gene Simmons? I realize that within the body of Christ, there are about as many differing opinions on this subject as grains of sand on the beach. I'm okay with that. In fact, at this moment, God hasn't granted me that gift. No matter. The point at hand here, is someone's PRIVATE relationship with Christ.


This really all came to a head for me a few months ago when I heard of the IMB adding new guidelines for their prospective missionary candidates. One of which states:


“In terms of general practice, the majority of Southern Baptists do not accept what is referred to as ‘private prayer language,’” the policy states. “Therefore, if ‘private prayer language’ is an ongoing part of his or her conviction and practice, the candidate has eliminated himself or herself from being a representative of the IMB of the SBC.
Let me be clear in saying this, I believe the IMB is doing wonderful things for the kingdom. I just don't believe they, or anyone for that matter, has the right to dictate how one worships in their private walk with the Lord.
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." - Matthew 6:6
As recent as last month, Dwight McKissic, a trustee of Southwestern Theological Seminary, endorsed "private prayer languages" during a chapel service. Go here for more on that service. As a general practice, the seminary posts its chapel messages on their website. However, this specific message was not posted.
"...though most of Reverand McKissic's message represented a position with which most people at Southwestern would be comfortable, Rev. McKissic's interpretation of tongues...is not a position that we suspect would be advocated by most faculty or trustees."
I understand their view. I really do! I just don't understand why they felt the need to censor the distribution of his message. It's not like we haven't heard what it was about through other means.
The bottom line for me is this, who are we to say what mysteries God may choose to reveal to us in private? These intimate times with the Lord should reveal to us a more personal Savior. Otherwise, why would He have commanded us to go into our rooms and "close the door". When will we get it that it's about Christ!? How long before all our man made walls come crashing down?
LET THE FLOODGATES OPEN!

9 Comments:

Blogger Spring said...

Oh...my...gosh! You said the "t" word. I think I'm going to faint!
I agree, who are we to try to unravel the mysteries of God? I am still very mixed on the issue personally, although I have a tiny little bit of experience. Here's what I know. I have known many people that I had absolutely NO shadow of a doubt in my mind that they were awesome men and women of God. Pillars of faith so to speak. And guess what? They spoke in tongues. I would never in a million years doubt that they were anything but 100% for real, so what am I to think but that there is indeed a prayer language? On the flip side of that, I have been in the room with others speaking in tongues, and had a strong sense of warning well up in my spirit. My official standpoint, confused.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a great topic for discussion. I've been to all kinds of churches, seen all manner of people and some have spoken in tongues. I, myself, did it during an extremely intense time of prayer where it was just the Father and I. It kind of freaked me out, but I believe that it is a gift that God still gives. The Bible doesn't say that some gifts are ok for the beginning of the church and those same gifts are definitely not for the 21st century. God is God, He can do whatever He wants to, so no biggie if someone does, no biggie if someone doesn't, it's about relationship and allowing God to use his Spirit in you the way HE wants......and the way you'll allow. Ok, off my soapbox too, have a good night. :)

6:01 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

“Who are we to say what mysteries God may choose to reveal to us in private” INDEED!!

You know, I spent all day pondering two lines from our new Night of Worship music. The first song says “Enter the mystery” and the last song says “Let the wind blow.”

The Holy Spirit is nothing if not mysterious, and if my heart’s desire is to let the wind of the Spirit blow in my life, I have to be willing and ready to jump into the hurricane wherever and however it blows! If that means unusual things will happen, which has certainly been my experience, I say “Come, Holy Spirit” because it's always GOOD!

9:21 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

P.S. Is not wanting to tell people whether or not you pray in tongues a matter of DISCRETION or PRIDE? I'll have to think about that..

9:28 PM  
Blogger Me said...

This does not have to be confession time. There's a reason why it's private. By the way, public tongues is a whole other topic.

10:03 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

Yes, it is--and a DEFINITE 10-foot-pole issue!

10:24 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

I didn't know who Gene Simmons was (remember, I'm old) until I just now looked him up. Eeewww!

8:30 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

One more comment, stolen from Beth Moore's Daniel study:

"I want the wind of the Spirit to blow so hard that I'll have to re-fix my hair!"

8:58 PM  
Blogger Joel Chan said...

I like the spirit of humility in that post, Mark! ;) That builds bridges! Because of that spirit of humility, in spite of your different denominational background, you guys are able to meld with guys like me (from an Assemblies of God background, where public tongues is a regular feature of everyday faith) and allow God to cook up something great for His glory. ;) Great job, and may Big Daddy get all the credit!

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home