Wednesday, July 25, 2007

In Their Own Words

Now that we've been back a few weeks & had some time to process, I asked those that went to try and put into words what God spoke to them at this year's IWI. Here's what a few of them had to say:



"While IWI was every bit as incredible as I had hoped, it had a completely different shape for me this year. Last year I learned what God truly wants in a worshipper, this year I came home with a new understanding of what it is to be a worshipper who is also in leadership (as well as a humbling understanding that I've still got a whole lot to learn). I was made fearfully aware of the responsibility that comes with leading God's people, whether it be in LCBS, praise and worship, youth and children's ministry, etc. We are potentially meddling in the relationship between our awesome Creator and His children, and if we are not living right, that could be a dangerous place to be. I was greatly touched by a sermon regarding the threefold relationship between the Bride, the King, and the eunuch. We are to lovingly serve the Bride of Christ in order to make her ready for the King, expecting nothing from the Bride in return. We mustn't rely on her for our reward, that comes only from the King.


I am also in awe of how God works in the Body as a whole. I found that First Baptist fell right into the directional flow of the Church in general. Our recent emphasis on being a missionary church, one that reaches outside its four walls to reach those that the church has turned blind eye to in years past, this is the movement of the Body of Christ and we are right there with them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it just confirms that this is where God's heart is and First Baptist isn't missing the boat!


So I have come home encouraged to press on, very aware that growth often involves growing pains, and most expectant of the awesome things God has for us on the horizon!" -Spring Minett




"I went to IWI not knowing what to expect. I knew I would have to take a weeks vacation from work and be away from my family around the 4th of July Holiday. But, I felt the burning desire to go with my worship team and seek the word of God and grow spiritually. I had no idea I would experience what I did in such an intense way. I felt God's presence so strongly one night that I will never be the same.



Before I went I was a little hesitant about my way of worshipping. Especially on the platform leading worship. Where people watching me and how I worshiped? Would I sing off key and mess up the song or distract others from their worship? Growing up Presbyterian I never experienced as much as raising my hand to the Lord. It was during a private time that I would weep, kneel or shout. I realized I'm not at church to perform for anyone. I'm there to worship God. Its not about ME. It's all about HIM.


When I returned from IWI I had a lot to process and my family wondered what was wrong with me. I was quite, did a lot of thinking and listening. Did you know listening to God is just as important as talking to Him? I can't put into words what I felt and the impact this week had on me. All I know is that we are only here in flesh for a short time. God loves us so much and gave the life of his only son so that we could live. We all have a purpose while we are here. We have to get that! God has a purpose. If you want to find that purpose, you first have to find God. Without God, there is no purpose. So IWI has led me to really pursue what my purpose is and how I can help others find theirs." -Stephanie Marshall



"IWI was
incredible. God was there. He completely blew my concept of worship out of the water. My first night at the conference, I couldn't "worship." Raised hands, lifted voices, great music, great atmosphere.. but no connection between me and God?? I was confused; I thought I'd be right at home in the free-flowing style of worship music. I thought I was all-set to "really worship." Well, I learned that God doesn't like boxes, especially if they're meant for Him. God burned these words on my heart: "What are you seeking?" Was I seeking the worship, or was I seeking Him? I learned that God wraps Himself in a shroud and longs for us to seek Him however He chooses to be found. Slow song, fast song, hymn, acapella, it doesn't matter. The form doesn't matter. What matters is WHO I am seeking. Like Bob Sorge taught us, worship is not business; it's personal. Once I allowed that truth through my thick skull and let it change my heart, I.. WOW. God let me find Him. The sheer delight I found in truly seeking and worshipping Him is very hard to describe, but I can tell you this much: I can't get enough of it. I'm hooked. It's my personal, daily quest now, seeking Him. And it's my prayer that this will be true of each of you as well. Thank you for partnering with God to send us to IWI. God bless you!"
-Joel Chan


"There was so much revealed to me in that week that there is no way I could summarize it if I tried. So, I’ll stick to one subject. RESPONSIBILITY. I have never taken what we do on Sunday mornings lightly, and I knew that I was setting an example of what it means to worship. The problem was, I was holding back on truly worshipping out of fear. I was afraid to mess up. I was afraid of looking foolish. And I was afraid of being judged. Now I know that I am going to mess up, I am going to look foolish, and I am going to be judged, AND THAT'S OKAY. I learned that my first and most important responsibility is to minister to God. I will never please everyone, but as long as I am pleasing God, I am doing what I should. He will take care of the rest.


So, now I am not so afraid of the responsibility, but honored that God has chosen me for this very important task. Nothing that I have done makes me worthy of this honor and that’s what is so great about it. I am so excited to see what happens in my life and the life of others, now that I have been broken. I can’t wait to see what He is molding me into." -Laura Murray



"You may not know that many of the sessions are designed for “worshipers,” and have nothing to do with LEADING worship. Joe automatically knows what I want for my birthday every July--a trip to the IWI! To me it’s like church camp for grown-ups (with MUCH nicer accommodations)! I urge everyone, musical or not, to join us next year. I always come home closer to the others in the group, and more importantly, closer to God." -Kathy Hickey



"IWI was a new experience for me. I thought I would be learning new techniques to help me with singing & my vocal range. After the first night, God spoke to me & told me that it is not about me & how well I sing. It is about Him & giving my all to Him. Now I know that I can lead worship totally unreserved, not worrying about how I sound or what I look like. I plan on returning to IWI, & I encourage you to go with us!" -Ashley Morgan



'NUF SAID! Now you now why we go. LORD, USE US FOR YOUR GLORY!!!!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger KathyH said...

It really was like church camp--you get to hang out with your friends and come back on fire for God and more committed to your church.

Some of you were in the session with me when Lindell Cooley said, “There’s a new sound coming through you.” And then I guess he saw me, because he said, “And the old codgers need to bless them.”

I thought, "How cool! He knows why I'm there!" I just want to support you guys, because you're the real deal. You aren’t up there performing, and anyone who thinks you ARE doesn’t know you like I do!

Other than the huge age difference, we're just alike! All any of you want to do is worship God with your whole heart, and that's what I want to do, too!I'm so glad we get to do it TOGETHER!

And not just once a year, but we get to do it every Sunday! So I’m always a happy camper!

I love all of you like my own kids!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

I love what you guys shared and some day I would love to hear the CD by Bob Sorge and the one about the eunuch - somebody could send it by Kathy?????

8:49 PM  
Blogger KathyH said...

Annette, I'll call the IWI office and get it, and you can borrow it.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home